Monday, July 5, 2010

#90's Nostalgia

In a recent twitter post (I feel so hip! Twitter and now a blog! So futuristic. I now know how Zenon feels), I used the hashtag (the # sign, for all you non-tweeters out there) #90snostalgia. And it got me thinking: Wow! I am so nostalgic for the 90's!

I know, I know, I'm late to the game. VH1 has their "Best Songs of the 90's" countdown on repeat, and anybody who is anybody has engaged in some sort of "What was your favorite Nicktoon?" conversation at college.

Anyways, as a lover of 90's one-hit-wonders and television shows and fashion, I figure I should have an occasional post about what really makes me nostalgic about the 90's. And yes, sometime in the near future I will probably address that burning question of what my favorite Nicktoon was (hint: it sure as hell wasn't CatDog).

So, the honorary recipient of my first #90snostalgia post is......



HANSON!!!!

Now, I guess this isn't the typical 90snostalgia post, because I still indulge myself in the musical stylings of Hanson. I've had to make quite the case for these brothers over the years to various friends/aquaintances who respond with "Hanson? You mean those guys who made that one really bad song?"

They are, of course, referencing "Mmmbop." If you're trying to rack the 90's storage bin in your brain and all you're coming up with is Chumbawamba, fear not, for I (ok, Youtube's ability to embed videos) will refresh your memory:



"Mmmbop" has pretty much become synonymous with "one-hit-wonder," and that's truly unfortunate. Hanson has been playing on my stereo (now iPod and Macbook) steadily since their "Middle of Nowhere" days. And only recently I've grown to appreciate how great the band really is. Their music is fun and extremely catchy, they write meaningful lyrics, they harmonize beautifully, they play their own instruments, and they release all of their music on their own record label. Thankfully, they've gained a little bit more exposure now that American Idol Season 9 alum Siobhan Magnus has sung with them, and hopefully they've also gained some loyal fans from that.


Don't believe all the hype I'm praising on them? Check out some of my favorites from their albums released over the years (most of these songs can be heard on their Yahoo! page here. If you can't find it, then go buy it off iTunes! Come on, we all know you spent $1.29 for "Tik Tok" by that girl who spells her name with a dollar $ign. Give Hanson some love too!):

Middle of Nowhere (sidenote: this album came out when I was 6. Zac was my first celebrity crush. I even still have a celebrity crush on a Zac, but not the same one):
-Thinking of You
-Where's the Love: Look! They're having so much fun! They're frolicking with pigeons! There's a random disco ball! Someone is wearing green pleather pants! Always the sign of a good time. My question is: Where exactly are they playing? A clothing store? Why? Are the acoustics good in there? And then they randomly transition into a blank white room with the looks of 1800's style machines, and then they are singing on the grounds of a factory. Come on, aren't there child labor laws to forbid this from happening?

Snowed In (come on, you know you bought it too. Mini #90snostalgia right now - when every band made a Christmas album...yes I'm talking to you, Justin "Frosted Curls" Timberlake):
-What Christmas Means to Me

This Time Around (the first album post-voice crackage from the 3 brothers):
-If Only: The boys have finally moved from the factory to an RV. Nice song, cool mountain scenery....wait, is that Mary Louise Parker watching a tarantula crawl across a cliff? It doesn't mention anything about it on her Wikipedia page, so I'm going to assume that's not her in it. But I guess we've found her twin! Oh, and Taylor, that baby blue jacket with the fleece lining that you are rocking in this video is totally boss.
-Runaway Run
-Sure About It

Underneath
-Strong Enough to Break
-Penny & Me
-Lost Without Each Other
-Get Up and Go


The Walk (probably my favorite of the bunch):
-Been There Before
-Georgia
-Fire on the Mountain
-Something Going Round



Now, I can't call myself a true Hanson fan just yet, because I still have to purchase their latest album, "Shout It Out." But, I swear I will. Poor college student be damned, good music is good music!

No comments:

Post a Comment