Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Brief History of My Hair

**WARNING: On a scale of one to narcissistic, this post is an 11. Read at your own risk.**

At the beginning of summer, I made a list of goals to accomplish or work towards for the few months I'll be home: read more books (check), learn to cook (eh...no), exercise more (well, I mean I HAVE gone to the gym a couple of times...oh who are we kidding, the freshman 15 i going to be nothing compared to the summer 70...oh God please don't let that be a real phenomenon). One thing I forgot to add to the list: Decide what to finally do about my hair.

Here's the thing: I love my hair. I don't care if that's an immodest thing to say, but it's true. It's not that it's my hair that's so special, per se, but just the idea that your hair can still look good even if you've gone back for seconds at the dining hall (damn you, freshman 15), or if you haven't laid out all summer and are pale as a ghost (excuse me, vampire).

I wouldn't say that I've been very adventurous with my hair over the years, at least not compared to certain celebrities. But I do like to try out different styles. It all started in 5th grade with what one of my teachers dubbed my "tiger stripes." You know - brown hair with chunks of blonde stripes in an almost wallpaper-like pattern.


For reasons that God only knows, I thought this looked cute. So cute, in fact, that I wanted to bring more edge to my look, and add red stripes to my hair, a la Kelly Clarkson on the cover of her freshman album.



Tragic, I know. Thankfully (no pun intended...come on, look at the album title!), I had a change of heart and decided not to go make the change. Actually, I just went through my old middle school diary trying to find an entry about this, because I knew I wrote about it, and I'll let 7th-grade me explain what happened:

2/28/04: "BTW, I'm getting chunky highlights and red streaks in my hair on March 7!"
3/12/04: "I actually didn't go through with the highlights. I thought they would be to 'look at me!.'"

1.) I commend 7th-grade me on using the BTW abbreve. So forward-thinking. Or, I'm just really immature and still use IM-speak in my blog entries.
2.) My handwriting back then was really good. I should brush up on my penmanship.
3.) I regret my improper choice of the word "to" over "too." 7th-grade me really should have paid more attention during grammar lessons.

(Sidenote: Now I'm reading old entries in my diary and this is freaking hilarious. 7th graders are so dramatic. Oh, and apparently I was so obsessed with the Gossip Girl books that I liked to sign my entries "You know you love me." Ah, I can't even take the nerdiness. Oh my god, I referenced Arrested Development in one of my entries. I take back what I just said - I was so cool in middle school.)

Then, in 10th grade I decided to go ballz to the wallz and dye my whole hair blonde. Now, this was nice for a while, but then I decided to change it up again and dye it super dark. I LOVED it at this color (a deep, deep brown, almost black), but eventually the dye washed out, and now I'm back to my natural lighter brown color.

So now, I'm face with the biggest dilemma of my life (sarcasm, folks): What color to dye my hair! Should I keep it brown? Go back to dark? Relive my middle school dream of getting those K. Clar red streaks? (Hell no.) I'm most likely not going back to blonde because:

A. I've been told I look better with dark hair.
B. It's a bitch to maintain, and expensive too. Hey, I can't buy properly keep up with my highlights AND have leftover money to buy the new Hanson cd!

As if this weren't enough to mull over, I also have to think about what length it should be. Last summer, I cut my hair to shoulder-length with layers, and now it's like 4 1/2 inches past that (Ok, that's totally an estimate. I have no idea how long it is. It's pretty long though). Now I need to figure out if I should go back to a short cut, or keep growing it out. One of my biggest goals in life is to have mermaid hair. Meaning, if I were a mermaid, my hair would cover where my seashell-bra would be. So, obviously I cannot achieve this look and get a sassy short hair cut at the same time. Well, there is one way, but I don't have $24,000 to purchase extensions, unlike some people.

Watching "Pretty Little Liars" (GREAT show, btw. Yes, dumb name, but whatevs) this summer has fueled my desire to have long hair, like the actresses on the show. For example, Lucy Hale:



(Note: I could never pull off a center part like this. Also, she has bitchin eyebrows. Perfectly arched!)


BUT, I've also ben watching the "Real World: New Orleans," and while I don't normally advise basing beauty decisions around a show where its participants urinate on each other's toiletries, one roommate this season, Sahar, has the cutest hair cut.





So, basically, I should just decide which summer show I like more. Or, I could think about which haircut would look better on me.


Nah, I'll just let the octopus decide.






Picture Credits:
Kelly Clarkson album, Lucy Hale, Sahar

1 comment:

  1. great references in this one. including a nice shout out to mermaid hair.
    -emily

    ReplyDelete