Saturday, July 10, 2010

Hey, Whatever Happened To...

...The cast of Lizzie McGuire?






Recently, a friend informed me that the Lizzie McGuire Movie was on TV, and later that night it became a trending topic on Twitter. Obviously, the world loves Lizzie, and with good reason. The television show from the era of Zoog Disney (if you know what i'm talking about, you are a superstar, my friend) was totally boss. It was about a trio of friends: the main leader was a middle school girl with blonde hair that was always worrying about boys, including her main crush. There were her best friends: an outspoken brunette who wore much better clothes than the lead character, and a nerdy guy friend. There was also the annoying little brother, normal mom, Dad who tried to be cool, popular girl, popular girl's best friend, and a whole host of other characters. Wait....wasn't that a different show? Nope, definitely Lizzie McGuire.


Anyways, I was always a big Lizze McGuire fan. I even crimped my hair like her. Probably not the wisest choice, but hey, 4th grade is the time for trial and error when it comes to these types of things. And really, could you expect any differently when it comes to my hair history?

But Lizzie McGuire earned my respect for several reasons:

1. The show was much more grown up than other shows on Disney Channel at the time, but it was still wholesome fun. To think that just one year later I would start watching The Real World: San Diego really makes me question my judgment as a tween. And I can't even blame Wom for letting me watch MTV, because in high school I wasn't even allowed to watch the MTV Challenges, and I still feel ashamed whenever I turn it on to watch (not that that stops me).
2. In the episode where they went to camp, the tribe names for the campers were the same ones from the first season of Survivor. Only true survivor buffs (get it? buffs! so punny) probably caught the reference. Any show that squeezes in a reference to Survivor is alright with me (Ok, I love sneaky American Idol references even more).
3. One episode featured the song "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran (it was the episode where Matt searches the town trying to find his mute friend Lanny. Wikipedia is telling me that it was called "El Oro De Montezuma"). I wish more kids' shows featured 80's music. iCarly, I expect you to take the lead on this one.


Anyways, we all know that Lizzie McGuire (aka Hilary Duff) moved onto bigger things. But what about the rest of the cast?


I was devastated when I learned last summer that LaLaine (Really? No last name?) was arrested in 2007 for meth possession. WTF, LaLaine? I mean, this is seriously hardcore! I think you've been watching a bit too much Degrassi.

And whatever happened to Adam Lamberg, who played Gordo? Yes, I definitely had a crush on Gordo. Even at the age of 11, I knew I would forever only be attracted to Jewish guys. I never understood why Lizzie fell for Ethan Craft over Gordo. Maybe she didn't like pasty boys. The world may never know. She eventually changed her mind and (SPOILER ALERT) kissed him in the Lizzie McGuire movie. Now, I doubt Hilary Duff even remembers who Adam Lamberg is.

So, forgotten cast of Lizzie McGuire, if you are reading this, what the eff have you been doing all this time?!? Lifetime movies? Charity work? A tell-all memoir? Let me know in the comments, or have your agent (if you still have one) give me a call.





Picture Credit:
Lizzie McGuire Cast

1 comment:

  1. really??! meth? i don't believe this. i will click the link for proof...
    sounds a little stephanie tanner for me, but who am i to judge.

    -em

    ReplyDelete